Joyce W. Yen, Ph.D.
As Director, I execute an array of initiatives addressing programmatic goals of the organization and sponsoring agency, namely to increase the
participation of women in the sciences, engineering, and mathematics (SEM). In my role I interact with 21 target departments in the College of Engineering, the College
Arts and Sciences, and the College of the Environment as well as with the broader UW community (including the Graduate School, the Provost's Office, the Office of Minority Affairs, and other campus units),
and other institutions nationwide to (1) spearhead efforts to advance women faculty in SEM at UW, (2) develop
accountability networks for institutional change to ensure advancement of SEM women, and (3) catalyze SEM faculty diversity and professional development.
I have been PI or co-investigator on 18 successful proposals that have brought over $7 million in funding to advance women faculty in science, engineering, and mathematics; to address faculty professional development more generally; and to diversify science and engineering and create a more inclusive climate in engineering. I have facilitated over 100 workshops, retreats, trainings, and other events focused on these topics and also have spoken at dozens of national and international meetings. In addition to my core campus work at UW, my most recent active grant-funded projects include:
Prior grant-funded projects include:
More details about these programs can be found on the UW ADVANCE initiative page. Through these national workshops and UW campus work, I have worked with hundreds of faculty, postdocs, and students. In addition, I have also trained others and provided leadership in the field by giving over 40 national national and international presentations and facilitated dozens of workshops, retreats, and other events focused on diversity in science and engineering, bias, cultural change in academia, and other related topics.
Select Publications Relevant to Diversity in Science and Engineering
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2021. The Inclusion of Women in STEM: A Joint Workshop of the U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, and the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences: Proceedings of a Workshop–in Brief. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/26190. (see Reconceptualizing Mentoring section.)
- The LATTICE Team (Yen, J., Margherio, C., Riskin, E., Peil, B., Carrigan, C., Ivy, J., and Horner-Devine, C.) (November, 2020) Diversity and Inclusion Begin with Trust. Last Word Column in ASEE Prism Magazine.
- Margherio, C., Horner-Devine, M.C., Mizumori, S. J. Y., and Yen, J. W. (2020) Connecting Counterspaces and Community Cultural Wealth in a Professional Development Program. Race Ethnicity and Education. DOI: 10.1080/13613324.2020.1798378. Published online 27 July 2020 at https://doi.org/10.1080/13613324.2020.1798378.
- Cheryan, S., Yen, J, and Muszkiewicz, L. (July 3, 2020) Contributed article #17 "Keeping distance learning in place" in "How to Re-design the World for Cornoavirus and Beyond." Politico Magazine. Lessons learned from teaching ENGR 401(PEERs) in Spring 2020 during the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Yen, J. W. (Dec. 6, 2019) De-biasing the evaluation process of in-person review panels for a postdoctoral fellowship. Nature Astronomy. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41550-019-0835-7. (Alternate link: https://rdcu.be/bYv9S).
- Yen, J. (Nov. 14, 2019) Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion is a leadership issue for all of us. PLOS Channels and Collections Blog.
- Yen, J., Riskin E. A., Margherio C., Spyridakis, J.H., Carrigan, C.M., Cauce, A.M., (2019) Promoting gender diversity in STEM faculty through leadership development: From local and national leadership workshops to the online LEAD-it-Yourself! toolkit. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal. Vol. 38, Issue 3. p. 382-398. https://doi.org/10.1108/EDI-09-2017-0181.
- Horner-Devine M. C., Gonsalves, T., Margherio C., Mizumori S.J. , Yen, J.W. (Nov. 2, 2018) Beyond Hierarchical one-on-one Mentoring. Science. Vol 362, Issue 6414. p 532. http://science.sciencemag.org/content/362/6414/532.1.
- Horner-Devine M. C., Margherio C., Mizumori S., Yen, J. Peer Mentoring Circles: A strategy for thriving in science. BioMed Central Blog 2017. http://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bmcblog/2017/05/18/peer-mentoring-circles-a-strategy-for-thriving-in-science/.
- Yen, J., Horner-Devine M.C., Mizumori S. J. Y, and Margherio, C. The BRAINS Program: Transforming Career Development to Advance Diversity and Equity in Neuroscience, Neuron. Volume 94, Issue 3, p426–430, 3 May 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2017.03.049. http://www.cell.com/neuron/fulltext/S0896-6273(17)30293-3
- Horner-Devine M. C., Yen J., Mody-Pan P., Margherio C., Forde S. Beyond traditional scientific training: The importance of community and empowerment for women in ecology and evolutionary biology. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution 2016 Volume 4. p. 119 http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fevo.2016.00119. DOI 10.3389/fevo.2016.00119.
- Margherio, C., Horner-Devine M.C., Mizumori S.J.Y., and Yen, J.W. Learning the Thrive: Building diverse scientists' access to community and resources through the BRAINS program. CBE Life Sciences Education. September 2016. http://www.lifescied.org/content/15/3/ar49.full.
- Carrigan C, O'Leary K, Riskin E, Yen J, O'Donnell M. On-ramping: following women scientists and engineers through their transition from nonacademic to faculty careers. The Journal of Technology Transfer. First published online Dec. 31, 2015:1-18.
- Riskin, E. Lange, S. E., Quinn, K. Yen, J. W., and Brainard, S. G. “Supporting Faculty during Times of Transition” in Transforming Science and Engineering: Advancing Academic Women, edited by Abigail J. Stewart, Janet E. Malley, and Danielle Lavaque-Manty, University of Michigan Press. 2007.
- Yen, J., Quinn, K., Carrigan, C., Litzler, E., and Riskin, E. A. “The ADVANCE Mentoring-for-Leadership Lunch Series for Women Faculty in STEM at the University of Washington” Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering 2007 Volume 13 Number 3. Pg. 191-206.
- Quinn, K., Yen, J., Riskin, E.A., and Lange, S.E. “Leadership Development Workshops for Department Chairs: A Model for Enabling Family-Friendly Cultural Change” Change Magazine, 2007 Volume 39 Number 4 (July/August) pages 42-47.
- Yen, J. and Loving, C. J. "The Cross Department Cultural Change Program at the University of Washington" ASEE 2005 National Conference Proceedings.
Paper selected as a finalist for the ASEE Women in Engineering Best Paper Award. Portland, OR. June 2005.
For more information, you can view my current CV, a 2019 UW "The Whole U" profile, the 2017 David Thorud Award profile, or a 2008 profile by the Mathematical Association of America.
Education and Honors
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s 2004 Outstanding Young Alumni Award
- 2007 University of Washington’s College of Engineering Professional Staff Innovator Award
- 2012 University of Washington David B. Thorud Leadership Award
- 2017 WEPAN Inclusive Culture and Equity Award
- Educational History:
- Mailing address:
Seattle, WA 98195-2180
- Other information
- (206) 543-4605 (phone)
(206) 685-0666 (fax)
-~- last updated: December 2020