Computer Crime and Security Survey
Since 1997, the Computer Security Institute has performed a yearly
survey of Internet sites regarding security incidents. The 2000 Computer Crime and
Security Survey summarizes the answers of 643 respondents.
The survey found that:
- 25% of respondents detected system penetration from the outside.
- 27% of respondents detected denial of service attacks.
- 79% detected employee abuse of Internet access privileges (for example, downloading pornography or pirated software, or inappropriate use of e-mail systems).
- 85% detected computer viruses.
- Regarding electronic commerce:
- 93% of respondents have WWW sites.
- 43% conduct electronic commerce on their sites (in 1999, only it was only 30%).
- 19% suffered unauthorized access or misuse within the last twelve months.
- 32% said that they didn't know if there had been unauthorized access or misuse.
- 35% of those acknowledging attack, reported from two to five incidents.
- 19% reported ten or more incidents.
- 64% of those acknowledging an attack reported Web-site vandalism.
- 60% reported denial of service.
- 8% reported theft of transaction information.
- 3% reported financial fraud.
In terms of security procedures in place to address the above concerns, the
survey revealed the following:
- 90% of respondents (primarily large corporations
and government agencies) detected computer security breaches within the
last twelve months.
- 70% reported a variety of serious computer
security breaches other than the most common ones of computer viruses,
laptop theft or employee "net abuse"--for example, theft of proprietary
information, financial fraud, system penetration from outsiders, denial
of service attacks and sabotage of data or networks.
- 74% acknowledged financial losses due to
- 42% were willing and/or able to quantify their
financial losses. The losses from these 273 respondents totaled
$265,589,940 (the average annual total over the last three years was
Dave Dittrich <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Last modified: Wed Mar 22 16:23:41 2000