Thu Aug 18 10:09:58 PDT 2005
Internet Denial of Service: Attack and Defense Mechanisms
Reviews and discussion of the book
Recent DDoS Developments
- In Chapter 2.1 (bottom of page 13) we stated, "If the target of the
attack is a company, a conceivable motive can be a competitor's wish to
gain an edge in the market. So far, no attacks have been proven to have
- A recently prosecuted federal case in the United States has changed
this. Stories can be found here:
- Teenager jailed for Web attacks, by Graeme Wearden, ZDNet UK, August 17, 2005
- Stalking the Internet, an army on the rise, by Stephen Labaton, The New York Times, June 24, 2005
- Duo charged over DDoS for hire scam, by John Leyden, The Register, March 22, 2005
- Michigan Man Arrested for Using New Jersey Juvenile to Launch Destructive "DDOS for Hire" Computer Attacks on Competitors, US Department of Justice press release, March 18, 2005
- THE CASE OF THE HIRED HACKER: Entrepreneur and Hacker Arrested for Online Sabotage, FBI.gov headline story, April 18, 2005
Errata for first printing (December 2004)
- Chapter 2, Page 26.
- The link http://www.ladlass.com/archives/001938.html is
no longer active. The original story by Brian Krebs can be found
- Chapter 3, Page 50.
- The second paragraph should begin, The next generation of tools...
instead of This next generation. The preceding paragraph describes
the first generation, not the next (second) generation.
- Chapter 4, side-bar on ingress/egress filters, Page 95.
- The URL cited in the footnote is no longer available. You can find another archived copy at http://www.mcabee.org/lists/firewalls/Jun-01/msg00385.html. [Thanks to Stefan Fouant for a substitute URL.]
- Chapter 7, Section 7.12.1, Page 235.
- Sentence beginning "McHugh extends.." should read: "McHugh and
Gates extend this model in their locality approach for dealing with
the outsider threat [McH03]"
- Bibliography, Page 344, entry [McH03].
- The reference should read: John McHugh and Carrie Gates,
"Locality: A New Paradigm for Thikning About Normal Behavior and
Outsider Threat," Proceedings of the New Security Paradigms
Workshop (NSPW 2003), ACM Press, August 2003, pp. 3-10
Dave Dittrich <dittrich @ u dot washington dot edu>