UW generously allows us to build our own website on its server. The instruction online is pretty straight forward. But here are hints may speed you up.
Before you start
- Setting up the server we usually need three parts:
- Open myUW and choose “My Account” on the right up corner. Click Computing services. Subscribe:
- WordPress network blog
- Web publishing
- Homer/Ovid Account
- This process is described in detail here, here I briefly introduce some tips for MySQL.
- Please read the instruction carefully and step by step.
- Ovid2 and 3 accept MySQL installs. Here I choose Ovid2 that accept MySQL: ovid02.u.washington.edu. Connect to server with SSH. In terminal, type:
– ssh @ovid2.u.washington.edu
- Remember the port you chose and use pwd to call your home directory.
- Set an easy password for you MySQL. You need this password to access to your MySQL database.
- Remember don’t just copy and paste from the tutorial. Sometimes you need to change “mypassword” with your password set earlier(the easy password I suggested at last step.)
- Create database for wordpress, with the instruction here
The instruction here is pretty straigtforward.
Follow the instruction and you are good to go.
Well, I am more or less bullshiting here and this tutorial is not useful at all but who cares. I am just trying to see if Byword is as good as they claimed. It is Legen-wait-for-it-DARY! 1000% recommend.