Sheryl Burgstahler, Ph.D.
Founder and Director, DO-IT Center and UW Access Technology Center
Affiliate Professor, College of Education
Instructor/Advisor, Distance Learning
Current projects include AccessSTEM, AccessDL, AccessComputing, RDE Collaborative Dissemination, and the Center for Universal Design in Education
University of Washington
UW Information Technology, Box 354842
Seattle, WA 98195-4842
More About Sheryl Burgstahler
Universal Design in Education: Instruction and Student Services
- Universal Design: Implications for Computing Education, 2011.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Distance Learning, 2009.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Instruction, 2009.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Student Services, 2009.
- Making Science Labs Accessible to Students with Disabilities, 2009.
- Making Student Services Welcoming and Accessible Through Accommodations and Universal Design, 2009
- Universal Design of Web Pages in Class Projects, 2009.
- Working Together: Faculty and Students with Disabilities: Presentation Materials, 2009.
- Universal Design of Instruction (UDI): Definition, Principles, and Examples, 2008.
- Who needs an accessible classroom?, 2007.
- Improving Postsecondary Outcomes for Students with Disabilities: Designing Professional Development for Faculty, 2006.
- Accommodating Students with Disabilities: Professional Development Needs of Faculty, 2005.
- Preparing Faculty to Make Their Courses Accessible to All Students. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 2005.
- Students with Disabilities and Campus Services: Building the Team Presentation and Resource Materials, 2005.
- Disability-Related Simulations: If, When, and How to Use Them. Review of Disability Studies: An International Journal, 2004.
- Universal Design: Process, Principles, and Applications, 2004.
- Building the Team: Faculty, Staff, and Students Working Together Presentation and Resource Materials, 2002.
- Supporting Students with Disabilities: What Every Teaching Assistant Should Know, 2002.
- Faculty Facilitate Research for Students with Disabilities, 1995.
Universal Design in Education: Information Technology
- Seeking Predictors of Web Accessibility in U.S. Higher Education Institutions, 2012.
- Accessible Technology for Online and Face-to-Face Teaching and Learning, 2011.
- Web Accessibility: A Longitudinal Study of College and University Home Pages in the Northwestern United States, 2010.
- Making Student Services Welcoming and Accessible Through Accommodations and Universal Design, 2009.
- Web Accessibility: Guidelines for Administrators, 2009.
- Accessible IT: Lessons Learned from Three Universities, 2008.
- Accessibility of Higher Education Web Pages in the Northwestern United States: Current Status and Response to Third Party Outreach, 2007.
- Accessibility Training for Distance Learning Personnel, 2007.
- International Research on Web Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities, 2007.
- The Development of Accessibility Indicators for Distance Learning Programs, 2006.
- Promising Practices: Accessible Information Technology in Education, 2005.
- Breaking Down Barriers: K-12 and Beyond - An Educators' Guide to Accessible Technology in Schools, 2005.
- Distance Learning and the Information Highway, 2005.
- Gender Differences in Computer-Mediated Communication Among Adolescents with Disabilities: A Case Study, 2005.
- Information Technology and Disabilities Journal, 2005 (guest editor).
- Steps Toward Making Distance Learning Accessible to Students and Instructors with Disabilities, 2005.
- Web-Based Distance Learning and the Second Digital Divide, 2005.
- Breaking Down Barriers: K-12 and Beyond - A Parents' Guide to Accessible Technology in Schools, 2004.
- Issues in Accessing Distance Education Technologies for Individuals with Disabilities, 2004.
- Making Distance Learning Courses Accessible to Students and Instructors with Disabilities: A Case Study, 2004.
- Software Accessibility, Usability Testing and Individuals with Disabilities, 2004.
- Research on Web Accessibility in Higher Education, 2003.
- Bridging the Digital Divide in Postsecondary Education: Technology Access for Youth with Disabilities, 2002.
- Capacity Building Institute: Technology and Transition: Empowering Students as
they Transition to College and Careers (contributing author/editor), 2002.
- Distance learning: The Library's Role in Ensuring Access to Everyone, 2002.
- Distance Learning: Universal Design, Universal Access, 2002.
- Universal Design of Distance Learning, 2002.
- Access to Internet-based instruction for people with disabilities, 2000.
- Web-Based Instruction and People with Disabilities, 2000.
- Making Web Pages Universally Accessible, 1998.
- Teaching on the Net: What's the Difference?, 1997.
- World Wide Access: Focus on Libraries, 1997.
- Computing and Networking Services for Students With Disabilities: How Do Community Colleges Measure Up?, 1996.
- Distance Learning and the Information Highway, 1995.
DO-IT Research and Practice
- Opening Doors: Mentoring on the Internet, 2009.
- Report of the AccessSTEM/AccessComputing/DO-IT Longitudinal Transition Study (ALTS), 2009.
- Creating a Transition Program for Teens: How DO-IT Does It and How You Can Do It, Too, 2007.
- Creating an E-Mentoring Community, 2006.
- Creating an E-mentoring Community: How DO-IT Does It and How You Can Do It, Too, 2006.
- Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology: Seattle's DO-IT Program, 2004.
of Students with Disabilities Regarding the Value of Technology-based
Support Activities on Postsecondary Education and Employment, 2004.
- DO-IT: Helping Students with Disabilities Transition to College and Careers, 2003.
- The Value of DO-IT to Kids Who Did It!, 2003.
- Supporting Peer-Peer and Mentor-Protege Relationships on the Internet, 2001.
- Opening Doors Through Mentoring: One Program's Experiences Using the Internet, 1999.
- Internet at Summer Camp? An Opportunity for Children and Youth with Disabilities, 1997.
- DO-IT, Exceptional Parent, 1994.
- DO-IT Scholars: Easing the Transition from High School to College, 1994.
- Learning About Disability From the Perspective of a 3-Year-Old, 1994.
- Use of the Internet in DO-IT, 1993.
College and Career Preparation for Students with Disabilities
- Promoting the Success of Students with Learning Disabilities through Accommodations and Transition Support, Technology Access, and Universal Design, 2012.
- Promoting Transition Success for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students with Disabilities: The Value of Mentoring, 2011.
- Special Issue: STEM Education, 2011 (editor).
- Evidence-Based Practices in Mentoring Students with Disabilities: Four Case Studies, 2010.
- College Preparation and Participation: Reports From Individuals Who Have Speech and Mobility Disabilities, 2008.
- AAC, Employment, and Independent Living: A Success Story, 2006.
- Literature Synthesis of Key Issues in Supporting Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students with Disabilities to Succeed in Postsecondary Education, 2006.
- Perceived Benefits of Work-Based Learning: Differences Between High School and Postsecondary Students with Disabilities, 2005.
- Preparing for College... on the Internet, 2004.
- The Role of Technology in Preparing Youth With Disabilities for Postsecondary Education and Employment, 2003.
- Transition From Two-year to Four-year Institutions for Students with Disabilities, 2001.
- Peer Support: What Role Can the Internet Play?, 1997.
- Teaching Lab Courses to Students with Disablilties, 1996.
- Cooperative Education and Students with Disabilities, 1995.
- Technology Eases the Transition to College for Students with Disabilities, 1995.
- Transition to College: Preliminary Findings of Four Case Studies, 1995.
- Increasing the Representation of People with Disabilities in Science, Engineering, and mathematics, 1994.
Last modified: Wednesday October 9 12:30:12 PDT 2013