Sheryl Burgstahler, Ph.D.
Founder and Director, DO-IT Center and UW Access Technology Center
Affiliate Professor, College of Education
Instructor/Advisor, Distance Learning
Current projects include AccessSTEM, AccessDL, AccessComputing, AccessCS10K, AccessEngineering, AccessSTEM CAREERS, RDE Collaborative Dissemination, and the Center for Universal Design in Education
University of Washington
UW Information Technology, Box 354842
Seattle, WA 98195-4842
More About Sheryl Burgstahler
Universal Design in Education: Instruction and Student Services
- Universal Design: Implications for Computing Education, 2011.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Distance Learning, 2009.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Instruction, 2009.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Student Services, 2009.
- Making Science Labs Accessible to Students with Disabilities, 2009.
- Making Student Services Welcoming and Accessible Through Accommodations and Universal Design, 2009
- Universal Design of Web Pages in Class Projects, 2009.
- Working Together: Faculty and Students with Disabilities: Presentation Materials, 2009.
- Universal Design of Instruction (UDI): Definition, Principles, and Examples, 2008.
- Who needs an accessible classroom?, 2007.
- Improving Postsecondary Outcomes for Students with Disabilities: Designing Professional Development for Faculty, 2006.
- Accommodating Students with Disabilities: Professional Development Needs of Faculty, 2005.
- Preparing Faculty to Make Their Courses Accessible to All Students. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 2005.
- Students with Disabilities and Campus Services: Building the Team Presentation and Resource Materials, 2005.
- Disability-Related Simulations: If, When, and How to Use Them. Review of Disability Studies: An International Journal, 2004.
- Universal Design: Process, Principles, and Applications, 2004.
- Building the Team: Faculty, Staff, and Students Working Together Presentation and Resource Materials, 2002.
- Supporting Students with Disabilities: What Every Teaching Assistant Should Know, 2002.
- Faculty Facilitate Research for Students with Disabilities, 1995.
Universal Design in Education: Information Technology
- Seeking Predictors of Web Accessibility in U.S. Higher Education Institutions, 2012.
- Accessible Technology for Online and Face-to-Face Teaching and Learning, 2011.
- Web Accessibility: A Longitudinal Study of College and University Home Pages in the Northwestern United States, 2010.
- Making Student Services Welcoming and Accessible Through Accommodations and Universal Design, 2009.
- Web Accessibility: Guidelines for Administrators, 2009.
- Accessible IT: Lessons Learned from Three Universities, 2008.
- Accessibility of Higher Education Web Pages in the Northwestern United States: Current Status and Response to Third Party Outreach, 2007.
- Accessibility Training for Distance Learning Personnel, 2007.
- International Research on Web Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities, 2007.
- The Development of Accessibility Indicators for Distance Learning Programs, 2006.
- Promising Practices: Accessible Information Technology in Education, 2005.
- Breaking Down Barriers: K-12 and Beyond - An Educators' Guide to Accessible Technology in Schools, 2005.
- Distance Learning and the Information Highway, 2005.
- Gender Differences in Computer-Mediated Communication Among Adolescents with Disabilities: A Case Study, 2005.
- Information Technology and Disabilities Journal, 2005 (guest editor).
- Steps Toward Making Distance Learning Accessible to Students and Instructors with Disabilities, 2005.
- Web-Based Distance Learning and the Second Digital Divide, 2005.
- Breaking Down Barriers: K-12 and Beyond - A Parents' Guide to Accessible Technology in Schools, 2004.
- Issues in Accessing Distance Education Technologies for Individuals with Disabilities, 2004.
- Making Distance Learning Courses Accessible to Students and Instructors with Disabilities: A Case Study, 2004.
- Software Accessibility, Usability Testing and Individuals with Disabilities, 2004.
- Research on Web Accessibility in Higher Education, 2003.
- Bridging the Digital Divide in Postsecondary Education: Technology Access for Youth with Disabilities, 2002.
- Capacity Building Institute: Technology and Transition: Empowering Students as
they Transition to College and Careers (contributing author/editor), 2002.
- Distance learning: The Library's Role in Ensuring Access to Everyone, 2002.
- Distance Learning: Universal Design, Universal Access, 2002.
- Universal Design of Distance Learning, 2002.
- Access to Internet-based instruction for people with disabilities, 2000.
- Web-Based Instruction and People with Disabilities, 2000.
- Making Web Pages Universally Accessible, 1998.
- Teaching on the Net: What's the Difference?, 1997.
- World Wide Access: Focus on Libraries, 1997.
- Computing and Networking Services for Students With Disabilities: How Do Community Colleges Measure Up?, 1996.
- Distance Learning and the Information Highway, 1995.
DO-IT Research and Practice
- Opening Doors: Mentoring on the Internet, 2009.
- Report of the AccessSTEM/AccessComputing/DO-IT Longitudinal Transition Study (ALTS), 2009.
- Creating a Transition Program for Teens: How DO-IT Does It and How You Can Do It, Too, 2007.
- Creating an E-Mentoring Community, 2006.
- Creating an E-mentoring Community: How DO-IT Does It and How You Can Do It, Too, 2006.
- Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology: Seattle's DO-IT Program, 2004.
of Students with Disabilities Regarding the Value of Technology-based
Support Activities on Postsecondary Education and Employment, 2004.
- DO-IT: Helping Students with Disabilities Transition to College and Careers, 2003.
- The Value of DO-IT to Kids Who Did It!, 2003.
- Supporting Peer-Peer and Mentor-Protege Relationships on the Internet, 2001.
- Opening Doors Through Mentoring: One Program's Experiences Using the Internet, 1999.
- Internet at Summer Camp? An Opportunity for Children and Youth with Disabilities, 1997.
- DO-IT, Exceptional Parent, 1994.
- DO-IT Scholars: Easing the Transition from High School to College, 1994.
- Learning About Disability From the Perspective of a 3-Year-Old, 1994.
- Use of the Internet in DO-IT, 1993.
College and Career Preparation for Students with Disabilities
- Promoting the Success of Students with Learning Disabilities through Accommodations and Transition Support, Technology Access, and Universal Design, 2012.
- Promoting Transition Success for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students with Disabilities: The Value of Mentoring, 2011.
- Special Issue: STEM Education, 2011 (editor).
- Evidence-Based Practices in Mentoring Students with Disabilities: Four Case Studies, 2010.
- College Preparation and Participation: Reports From Individuals Who Have Speech and Mobility Disabilities, 2008.
- AAC, Employment, and Independent Living: A Success Story, 2006.
- Literature Synthesis of Key Issues in Supporting Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students with Disabilities to Succeed in Postsecondary Education, 2006.
- Perceived Benefits of Work-Based Learning: Differences Between High School and Postsecondary Students with Disabilities, 2005.
- Preparing for College... on the Internet, 2004.
- The Role of Technology in Preparing Youth With Disabilities for Postsecondary Education and Employment, 2003.
- Transition From Two-year to Four-year Institutions for Students with Disabilities, 2001.
- Peer Support: What Role Can the Internet Play?, 1997.
- Teaching Lab Courses to Students with Disablilties, 1996.
- Cooperative Education and Students with Disabilities, 1995.
- Technology Eases the Transition to College for Students with Disabilities, 1995.
- Transition to College: Preliminary Findings of Four Case Studies, 1995.
- Increasing the Representation of People with Disabilities in Science, Engineering, and mathematics, 1994.
Last modified: Thursday July 9 18:15:10 PDT 2015